History of the Institute of Musicology, SAS
The Institute of Musicology (Ústav hudobnej vedy) was founded in 1943 under the name Musicological Institute (Hudobnovedný ústav), among the first research workplaces of the Slovak Academy of Sciences and Arts (Slovenská akadémia vied a umení, 1942 – 1953). In 1951 its name was changed to Institute of Musicology and it became part of the Slovak Academy of Sciences (Slovenská akadémia vied) as one of its founding workplaces. Between 1973 and 1990, the Institute temporarily came under The Institute of Research on Art, SAS (Umenovedný ústav SAV) as the Musicology Section (Sekcia hudobnej vedy). In 1990 it became independent and renewed under its original name Ústav hudobnej vedy Slovenskej akadémie vied.
Former directors of the Institute include Zdenko Nováček (1951 – 1956), Jozef Kresánek (1956 – 1964), Ladislav Burlas (1964 – 1988), Richard Rybarič (1988 – 1989), Pavol Polák (1989 – 1990), Oskár Elschek (1990 – 1997), Juraj Lexmann (1997 – 2009). The present director is Hana Urbancová (2009 – ).
In the past, the Institute of Musicology published the yearly periodical Hudobnovedný sborník (1953 – 1954, two volumes), continued as Hudobnovedné štúdie (1955 – 1966, seven volumes). Since 1969, the Institute has published the journal Musicologica Slovaca, between 1992 and 2008 under the extended title Musicologica Slovaca et Europaea, since 2010 renewed under the original name. Since 1993, the journal Ethnomusicologicum, revue pre etnomuzikológiu a etnochoreológiu has been published non-periodically. Between 1993 and 2003, the Institute has collaborated with Institut für Musikwissenschaft, Universität Hamburg on publishing the international journal Systematische Musikwissenschaft / Systematic Musicology / Musicologie Systématique.